About Giving at Torchy’s Tacos
At Torchy’s, we work hard, laugh loud and we always go big. And that includes giving. We’re all about supporting the grassroots organizations within our stores’ local communities. But we also focus greater assistance in three particular areas of passion: cancer research, childhood enrichment, and addiction recovery. In fact, a portion of proceeds from each Taco of the Month goes to support the causes we love.
Why MD Anderson Cancer Center
Cancer affects almost everyone, either directly or indirectly. The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center’s mission is to end cancer in Texas, the nation and the world through outstanding patient care, research and prevention, as well as education and training for students, professionals, employees and the public.
MD Anderson is widely regarded as one of the world’s most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. The benefits of its research efforts reach across the globe. What’s more, 100% of Torchy’s Tacos’ annual donations to MD Anderson goes toward cancer research, including research conducted at the Michale E. Keeling Center for Comparative Medicine and Research in Bastrop, Texas, a few miles from our headquarters in Austin. And we feel pretty Damn Good about that. But what does their research actually do?
Accomplishments of Note
Research efforts at MD Anderson have driven improvements in:
- *Innovations in therapy and treatment for adults and children
- *Basic science and laboratory research
- *Cancer prevention, risk reduction and early detection
- *Survivorship and quality of life
Michale E. Keeling Center for Comparative Medicine and Research
The Michale E. Keeling Center for Comparative Medicine and Research was established in 1975 and is located on 381 acres near Bastrop. Research at the Keeling Center focuses on biomedical research in cancer, hepatitis, HIV, diabetes, hypertension, obesity, vaccine development, cellular immunology, aging and behavior.
Recent research accomplishments include:
- *Development of vaccines for the prevention and treatment of AIDS
- *Development of vaccines for the treatment of cervical precancerous lesions
- *Pain medications safety tested for use in cancer patients; others approved for clinical trials
- *Safety testing of new antibody-based strategies for treatment of autoimmune diseases such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis
- *Development of new strategies that harness the immune system to treat melanoma and leukemia
- *Establishment of unique models to study and test new therapies for Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- *Development of safer and more effective small molecule drugs for lung and ovarian cancers
- *Completed early-stage testing of a new gene therapy approach to cure type 1 diabetes
And that’s just scratching the surface. Please visit MD Anderson’s website, www.mdanderson.org, for more information, or to find out how to donate and volunteer.